Microsoft Office app is now known as Microsoft 365 app
Microsoft has decided to rename the Microsoft Office app to Microsoft 365 app. The tech giant is rebranding its flagship and most versatile productivity app after 30 years to accommodate its growing list of apps.
Don’t worry! Office apps like Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and more aren't going away.
But these apps will now be referred to as part of Microsoft 365 instead of Microsoft Office. Office.com, the Office mobile app, and the Office app for Windows will now become the Microsoft 365 app - with a new icon, a new look, and even more features.
Let’s dive in and see what will change and how these changes will impact you.
Microsoft Office is now Microsoft 365 App
Microsoft 365 App (formerly Office app) is the new home for your favorite productivity tools and content. It now comes with new ways to help you find, create, and share your content, all in one place.
Who knew Microsoft would do this? Well, after Microsoft turned around and released Windows 11, anything is now expected.
What is changing?
Over the last 2 years, Microsoft 365 has become Microsoft’s flagship productivity suite. So, Microsoft is creating an experience to help users get the most out of Microsoft 365.
Microsoft is changing the name and provisions of Office.com, the Office mobile app, and the Office app for Windows. All will become the Microsoft 365 app, with a new icon, a new look, and even more features.
These changes will begin rolling out for Office.com in November 2022, first. Changes will roll out for the Office app on Windows and the Office mobile app in January 2023.
The name and app changes will apply to all users who use the Microsoft Office app for work, school, or personal use.
How will these changes impact me?
Users won’t get any impact on their existing account, subscription, profile, or files.
When the change occurs, the Office app will update automatically and get a new icon and name with Microsoft 365.
So, keep an eye out for Office app changes and a new Icon in November and beyond.
Microsoft 365 App versions
There are now three versions of the Microsoft 365 app:
- Microsoft 365 app Home
- Microsoft 365 app For Organizations
- Microsoft 365 app For Educators
But Microsoft already has Microsoft 365?
Yes. Microsoft 365 is Microsoft’s cloud-powered productivity platform that, is the Office app version but in the cloud. It includes apps like Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneDrive, and more.
Microsoft 365 has free web and mobile apps and premium plans with more apps, storage, and features.
But Microsoft 365 app will be the desktop version of Microsoft 365 with its own plans, different from Office 365 plans.
Is Microsoft 365 the same as Microsoft 365 app?
No, they’re different but have the same provisions. The Microsoft 365 app is the starting point to experiencing the tools and content in the Microsoft 365 suite.
Microsoft 365 will stay the same. But now, users will access Microsoft 365 app perpetual license instead of Microsoft Office perpetual license.
What’s new in Microsoft 365 app?
You’ll likely see newer versions of the Microsoft 365 app and Office app versions with new features. Some of the features that Microsoft is rolling out with the release are:
- New content creation types and templates. There’s a new module called Create that you can use to start on projects across several Microsoft 365 apps quickly, either from blank templates or to try recommended templates. Create is already available to all users on the web, Windows, and mobile, with more template types arriving soon.
- New Apps module: AApps are now called tools. Discover, launch, and pin the tools you use most across Microsoft 365.
- Welcome Badging: This allows you to see your Microsoft 365 subscription status (if you’re using Microsoft 365) and track storage usage in one easy place.
- My Content: This is a popular feature for Microsoft 365 business customers. Now, it's available for personal use and educators. It’s a central location to access and view all your content – those you created or those shared with you – regardless of where they’re stored.
- Feed: Get relevant content based on your colleagues, friends, classmates, or all people you work with and what you work on to simplify your workflow.
- Tagging: Tagging allows you to now group and organize all types of your content with custom tags.
Is the MS Office app going away entirely?
Not at all. Microsoft 365 still gives you access to your productivity apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and more.
Microsoft will also continue to offer one-time purchases of those apps to individuals and businesses (including MS Office apps for Mac) via Microsoft Office 2021 and Office LTSC plans.
Additionally, Microsoft specifically states that there are no changes to Office 365 subscription plans (Now Microsoft 365).
Finally: Checking Out of the Office
The MS Office name change has been a long time. Microsoft is rebranding Office, which is making way for Microsoft 365, now a strong brand.
But, as things go, Microsoft may abandon Office completely for Microsoft 365 and apps in the future. We wait to see what happens.
One more thing …
We’re glad you’ve read up to here :) Thank you
If you have an extra minute, share this article on your socials and help another person know that Microsoft Office is changing to Microsoft 365 app.
Also, subscribe to our newsletter for immediate updates and news on tech events and Microsoft related activities as they happen. We also give ways to offer coupons and promotions that you may benefit from.
» Microsoft Office 2021 Review: Where to buy and all you need to know
» Microsoft Office 2021: The First Preview for Mac
» Microsoft Office 2021: Here's What You Can Expect
» What's New in Microsoft Office 2021?
» What’s New in Office 2021: Everything You Need To Know