How To Update AMD Drivers on Windows 11/10/7
How to Update AMD Drivers in Windows
AMD graphics cards are some of the most popular on the market. They offer high quality features, as well as excellent performance for a reasonable price. However, in order to get the most out of your AMD card, you need to make sure that your drivers are up-to-date.
AMD drivers are essential for your computer's hardware to function properly. Driver software takes care of your device and your hardware, bringing them together to ensure all features work well. If your driver becomes outdated or is missing entirely, your computer may not be able to take full advantage of your AMD graphics card.
In this blog post, we'll show you all the different ways that you can update your AMD drivers on Windows 10/7/11. Let's get started!
What is a software driver?
A software driver is a system software that regulates hardware. It enables the operating system and other programs to connect with the hardware components, allowing them to work. For your AMD graphics card to work correctly, you'll need drivers.
The graphics card is likely to run poorly or not at all if the right driver is not installed.
Your computer may already come with drivers installed when you install Windows itself. This is to make sure everything can boot up with a generic driver. However, if you want to get the most out of your components, you need to install specific drivers made for your devices.
Keeping your drivers updated is also crucial. Companies will release new driver versions with new features, optimizations, and even bug fixes.
Step-by-step: How to update AMD drivers on Windows
On Windows, there are a number of different ways to update your AMD drivers. You can choose whatever one seems most comfortable for your own requirements and computer ability level.
Method 1. Update your AMD driver with Device Manager
The Device Manager is your one-stop-shop for all things related to peripherals and components. It’s used to not only manage but update your drivers, configure settings, and ensure everything works well under the hood. This app can be used to update your AMD drivers in two ways.
- To access the needed utility, press the Windows + X keys on your keyboard and choose Device Manager from the context menu.
- Expand the Display adapters category and right-click on your AMD graphics card listed. Select Update driver from the context menu.
- Choose how you want to update your driver. You may either let Windows find a driver for you automatically or manually seek a fresh driver file on your machine.
Warning: Keep in mind that only legitimate sites should be used to download drivers for manual updates! Some fraudulent websites may try to trick you into downloading malware-infected driver files. You can always download the latest drivers from AMD’s website.
Method 2. Update your AMD driver with Radeon Software
Many graphics card manufacturers will provide software to help you manage your drivers and settings.
AMD released Radeon Software, which serves as a central location for everything you'll need to set up your graphics card effectively. You can easily upgrade your drivers using the AMD Radeon Software.
- Right-click on any empty space on your desktop, and then choose AMD Radeon Settings from the context menu.
- Once the application launches, click on the System button in the top-right corner. This is where you can get the system overview, software, and hardware details.
- Go to the Software tab to learn more about the installed graphics driver. The driver version, as well as the versions of the other software components installed, are displayed on this screen.
- If your driver is out of date, click on the Updates button on the main screen of the Radeon Software. If a new driver is available, the button will say New Update.
- Radeon Settings will display the current driver version and offer the option to check for updates. If a newer driver version is available, choose to Check for Updates.
- The following page will appear, showing the driver version that may be installed. You may see buttons like New Recommended and New Optional which signal that drivers are available for download and installation. To begin installing, click on either tile and view the menu options.
- Pick either of the options:
- Express Upgrade: Installs the core components of the driver package without any additional files.
- Custom Upgrade: This gives you the option to pick which individual components of the new driver you want to install.
- Release Notes: Read the notes of the new driver update and see what it does and whether or not you require it.
- To begin the upgrading process, click Proceed. Your driver update will automatically happen shortly after.
Method 3. Automatically update your drivers
If you want to automatically update your drivers without having to do it manually, Windows provides an option for that. You can also use a third-party app that may be more efficient and accurate at finding new driver updates for your AMD components.
How to automatically update drivers on Windows
Windows Update has a feature that allows you to automatically update outdated drivers. This can help you quickly find and get some of your drivers up-to-date without having to individually check for new versions.
- To access the Start menu, click the Windows symbol in the lower-left corner of your screen, and then choose Settings. Alternatively, press Windows + I to bring up the menu.
- Select the Update & Security tile from the drop-down menu. The majority of your Windows Update settings can be found here.
- Go to the Windows Update section, and then click on the View optional updates link if it’s available.
- Expand the Driver Updates section to see which drivers need to be updated right now. Simply check the boxes next to the drivers you want to update, then click the Download and Install button.
- Allow Windows to download and update your outdated drivers before restarting your machine.
How to automatically update drivers with third-party app
Windows users may use a driver updater tool to keep their computers up to date with the newest drivers. Only Microsoft-certified drivers are updated by default in Windows. This is already a big benefit for many individuals, but it overlooks key critical drivers that you should be aware of.
Editor’s pick: What Is the Best Driver Updater for Windows?
Look for and download third-party updater apps like Driver Booster, DriverHub, or DriverPack Solution to automatically update drivers. The majority of these resources are free and simple to use. If you're not happy with the service, we propose looking for more complex programs on the internet.
Always double-check that the download site and app you're utilizing is reputable. Malware, adware, and spyware can be found in certain apps that claim to fix or update your drivers. Before downloading any program, we recommend conducting a search for the product's name and reading customer reviews!
Updating your AMD graphics card drivers is essential for making sure you can get the most out of your hardware. In this article, we’ve outlined all the possible ways of getting up-to-date with your driver software. If you follow the steps we’ve provided, you should have no problem staying current and ensuring that your AMD card is performing at its best.
If there are any questions left unanswered or problems not addressed, please feel free to reach out — our team of experts would love to help! In the meantime be sure to keep up with all things tech by checking back for more articles about troubleshooting, and following us on social media.
One more thing
Sign up for our newsletter and get early access to our blog posts, promotions, and discount codes. Thank you for reading! We hope to see you again soon.
Feel free to reach out with questions or requests you’d like us to cover.