10 Best Google Docs Alternatives and Competitors 2023
Google released Google Docs in 2006. Google Docs quickly transformed how teams and organizations collaborate as people didn’t have to hit "save" every minute. It also eliminated tedious tasks like attaching files in emails, file downloads, and others.
This efficiency, intuitiveness, and real-time collaboration drove individuals, teams, and organizations to quickly embrace Google Docs.
Today, Google docs is a widely used word processing tool for documentation, collaboration, and document-sharing.
But, since Google Docs’ release over a decade ago, many new, advanced, and feature-rich tools have now arrived. Even t’s main rival, Microsoft Office, developed a similar concept of Microsoft 365 to win back customers.
Let’s see how these 10 Google Docs alternatives, including Microsoft 365 offer best alternatives.
Top Google Docs alternatives 2023
- Microsoft Office online (Microsoft 365)
- DropBox paper.
- Zoho Docs.
- Apache OpenOffice.
What is Google Docs?
Google Docs is an online, cloud-based document editor and collaboration tool from Google. It was released in 2006, and includes Google Sheets, Slides and Forms.
Google Docs is accessible through the internet as a browser-based web app, mobile app on ChromeOS, iOS, Android and desktop app on ChromeOS.
You must have a Google Account and G-Mail to use Google docs.
What does Google Docs do?
Users can do the following with Google Docs:
- Create, share and edit documents online, from any device, anywhere.
- Automated save. Docs automatically saves edits in the version history, allowing easy tracking of edits or undoing changes.
- Collaborate and share with others to edit documents in real-time, with user mentions, Comments, autosave, and document revision history.
- Store documents on Google Drive cloud storage platform; access them anywhere.
- Create, open, import, save documents;
- Edit and update documents online in various fonts and file formats, such as Microsoft Word, standard OpenDocument, Rich text, plain Unicode text, and zipped HTML.
- Add images and GIFs to a document from your device or using an image URL.
- Marked editors. In a collaboration, Google Docs highlights each editor's position/location with a specific color/cursor.
- Offline editing. Docs allows users to access, create and edit Docs offline when they download the docs extension.
- Document permissions. Docs' permissions regulate what users can do: read-only, editor and access.
- Add-ons and integrations. Users can access various third-party applications on Docs, including Wikis, Grammarly, project management tools, e-signature apps, etc.
- And more!
Why you might want a Google Docs alternative
Google docs is a great tool but it’s not the perfect one. Users may want Google docs alternatives because of the following reasons.
Limited collaboration elements
Google Docs has basic content collaboration features but lacks advanced ones like custom task structures, progress tracking, time tracking, and more.
Difficult to use as a knowledge base system
It's difficult to use Google docs as a knowledge base because of poor file organization. Google Docs saves all documents on Google Drive, which is a cluttered storage tool and makes document search very difficult.
Difficulty in creating a decent filing system
Google docs and drive have complex sharing and permissions. Sometimes you may forget to give teammates access to a document or even hit the "anyone with link" option.
Can't create subpages
Google Docs can’t create subpages or nest pages, which limits knowledge management.
Knowledge bases that allow nesting pages allow document structuring with some pages set as subpages.
10 Top Google Docs Alternatives of 2022
Here are highlights of the word processor apps, which are Google Docs alternatives.
#1. Microsoft 365 - The Best Google Docs Alternative
When you think about word processing tools, Microsoft Office comes to mind first. MS Office has an online version similar to and better than Google Docs called Microsoft 365. It gives users free access to Microsoft Word, Excel, Forms, Calendar, and more. MS Office online brings all the Microsoft Office desktop features for word processing and real-time collaboration.
Why Microsoft Office online is the best Google Docs alternative.
- Familiar Microsoft Office user interface
- Automatic document saving Microsoft OneDrive.
- Co-author and co-edit on MS Word documents.
- Free templates for calendars, resumes, newsletters and more.
- OneNote note-taking app.
- The 'Tell Me feature helps to navigate the platform.
- Organize your data with workbooks and spreadsheets.
- Unlimited number of pages.
Get Microsoft Office and Microsoft 365 from SoftwareKeep at discounted prices.
Read more out detailed comparison about Google Docs vs. Microsoft Word and find out which One Is Suitable for You.
ClickUp is a highly-rated productivity, project management, and document collaboration tool. While it's a project management tool, ClickUp provides ClickUp docs for Word and document editing. With ClickUp Docs, you can create, edit, share and collaborate on different types of documents depending on your project needs.
Why ClickUp is a good Google Docs alternative.
- Easy-to-use user interface with online and offline modes.
- Create nested pages in your doc (up to 5 levels) in your Docs and drag-and-drop to move them around.
- Manage files across popular storage systems like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc.
- Use a chat view to have casual conversations while working.
- Use ClickUp notepad to take unlimited notes, jot down ideas or create a checklist.
- Use Email ClickApp to receive and send emails directly in a task.
- Integration with third-party software like Calendly, Evernote, YouTube, and more.
#3. DropBox paper
Dropbox paper is a document creation, sharing and personal assistant tool. It is a new platform from Dropbox document storage, with advanced collaboration, editing, and sharing, making it a key Google Docs alternative. You’ll know documents newly shared with you, deadlines, and more.
Why Dropbox paper is a good Google Docs alternative.
- Virtual assistant alerts for newly shared documents and key deadlines.
- Add due dates to tasks.
- Assign to-dos to teammates.
- Use annotations to improve feedback processes.
- Easy VA-supported note-taking and feedback.
- Tag team members in the comments.
- Transform documents into presentations.
- Templates for creative briefs, meeting notes, brainstorming, etc.
#4. Zoho Docs
Zoho Docs is a key word processing and content collaboration tool for individuals and teams to store, share, manage and work online. It’s a key part of the Zoho Office Suite, closely matching Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace. The platform includes advanced formatting tools, allowing users to design documents with custom layouts and company branding, store documents centrally and access them on any device from anywhere. But these powerful features need a steep learning curve.
Why Zoho Docs is a good Google Docs alternative.
- Create any document; wod, presentation or spreadsheet.
- Directly post a document to your blog/help center site.
- Attach documents to chats and review them collaboratively.
- Categorize files by file type, by project or author.
- Integrates with Zoho Office Suite for more productivity.
- Work offline.
Nuclino is a modern, lightweight Google Docs alternative with everything users love about Microsoft 365 and Google Docs: auto-save, real-time collaborative editing, comments, version history and more. With Nuclino teams can collaborate on documents and projects without the chaos of files, folders or silos. But it has fewer formatting options.
Why Nuclino is a good Google Docs alternative.
- It works like a collective brain, allowing users to bring all teams' work together in one place.
- Create, edit, and share documents into the company Wiki
- Link related text documents to each other for a wiki-like effect.
- Link documents to similar ones in the body of the text.
- Search documents’ database easily
- Organize content visually with the list, board, table, and graph.
- Adapt the tool to your workflow for knowledge sharing.
Like Microsoft 365, OnlyOffice offers a full business productivity suite. The platform has a collaborative document editor that easily functions as a Google Docs alternative. The best part of OnlyOffice Docs is its self-hosted capability because it's free and open-source. That gives you full control over your content.
Why OnlyOffice is a good Google Docs alternative.
- Has a powerful editing experience like Microsoft Word
- Is open source, giving you control over your document.
- Customizable word editing layouts.
- Dual editing modes.
- Download a document in different formats, including PDF, TXT, DOCX, ODT, etc.
- Built-in chat tools.
- Additional add-on for various purposes.
- And more.
Quip is a product of Salesforce and a Google Doc alternative for document editing, management and team collaboration. It allows creating and sharing basic writing, especially on sales materials. Users can create and share word documents, spreadsheets, task lists, presentation slides, and more. Quip’s unique combination of writing and communication features enables teams to work efficiently and more collaboratively.
Why Quip is a good Google Docs alternative.
- Seamless document creation and editing, including offline editing.
- Live document editing, organization, and visibility in one app.
- Real-time chat and communication with document collaborators.
- Discussions and forums.
- News feed of document changes.
- Features for project management and note-taking.
- Close integration with Salesforce, allowing linking with your Salesforce account.
#8. Apache OpenOffice
Like OnlyOffice, Apache OpenOffice is an open-source word processing suite. Its applications like spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, databases, graphics and more are free. Team/individual data is stored in open standard format, but it can also read and write files in other formats.
Why OpenOffice is a good Google Docs Alternative.
- Crete, dit and share word and other documents in multiple formats
- Use Multiple languages to create documents
- Install the app on unlimited multiple PCs.
- Take notes.
- Add mathematical equations to content.
- Create 3D illustrations from within the word document.
- Portable. Use Apache OpenOffice from a USB stick or similar without prior installation.
#9. Coda Docs
Coda Docs is an all-in-one document management tool that brings all your words, data, and teamwork into one great document. Users can make Coda docs that do everything from basic word processing, user manuals, creating surveys, polls, etc. Teams can combine various building blocks to create a doc, edit and view documents and spreadsheets simultaneously, and so much more.
Why Coda is a good Google Docs alternative.
- Drag and drop templates and capabilities.
- Revision history.
- Advance document locking.
- Real-time collaboration.
- Offers customizable templates.
- Mobile-friendly app.
- Integration and plug-ins.
CryptPad is unique and boasts high level security. The CryptPad platform provides a private-by-design alternative to word-processing, including Google docs and Microsoft 365. All content in CryptPad is encrypted before they're sent, giving them utmost security. It's a great Google docs alternative for people who want to focus on document security.
Why CryptPad is a Good Google Docs alternative.
- Real-time document editing, sharing, and collaboration.
- End-to-End Encryption for the entire or parts of the app.
- No registration required.
- Privacy focused.
- Kanban Board to organize workflow by moving cards with drag-and-drop.
- No Tracking.
Overall, Google Docs is a great document editing tool, but it may lack the advanced features of other word processing tools like Microsoft 365 and more.
If you want an instant place to begin, start with Microsoft Office or Microsoft 365 from SoftwareKeep.
You'll get the best tool for word processing, collaboration, and process documentation.
One more thing
We’re glad you’re read this article/blog upto here :) Thank you for reading.
If you have a second, please share this article on your socials; someone else may benefit too.
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to read our future articles, reviews, and blog post right in your email inbox. We also offer deals, promotions, and updates on our products and share them via email. You won’t miss one.
» Microsoft Office vs. iWork: Which is the Best Office Suite?
» Differences Between Microsoft 365 vs. Google Workspace
» 11 Top Grammarly Alternatives for Error Free Writing in 2023
» 5 Word Functions You Never Knew Existed
» How to Delete a Page in Google Docs